Well, the fun has begun. Congrats on your new baby! Now that you have a new baby your body has changed, your energy is focused on taking care of your baby and your needs are now secondary. Our postnatal massage is about YOU and only you!
Postnatal Massage focuses on areas of the body that are stressed from breastfeeding, cradling, carrying and the aftermath on our backs and hips from labor. Postnatal massage helps in the recovery after the physical and emotional stress of pregnancy and delivery.
What are the benefits of having a postnatal massage?
- decreases swelling in legs
- decreases low back pain
- decrease anxiety and mental stress from the birthing process
- improve quality of sleep
- reduce muscle aches
When is the right time to get a postnatal massage?
Immediately, providing there have not been any complications such as high blood pressure, blood clots, etc. The emotional recovery of the postpartum woman is very important as hormone levels fluctuate immediately after giving birth. Massage helps reduce anxiety, decrease stress and gives Mom some time to unwind. We often use our side lying cushions during a postnatal massage, as lying face down can be uncomfortable on the stomach and breasts.
C-Section Scar Massage
Did you have a c-section? Do you know that massaging your c-section scar can help heal it quicker and can get you back to moving and doing activities? We hired Linda Hickey who specializes in pre and postnatal massage to come to the clinic and teach our therapists specific c-section scar work. Click here to see pictures and a description of the courses we took.
Is it possible to get a massage after a C-Section? If so, when?
YES! Many of our Back At It Therapists have taken an additional course on c-section scar massage. The scar cannot be worked on until the wound is closed and the client feels comfortable about this localized massage. We recommend after 3 months or contact us to find out more details of when is best to start treatments.
Benefits of C-Section Scar massage:
- Improved circulation to the area. Often the area may feel numb and restricted.
- Giving confidence back to Mom. Mom’s are often uncertain if the scar is healing well and progressing.
- Providing the right referrals. The Bow Valley is home to some amazing health care practitioners that specialize in postnatal care and recovery. We have created relationships with other clinics that can provide treatments such as: Pelvic Floor Physio, Osteopathy, Chiropractic treatments, Acupuncture, and Naturopathic care to help aide with recovery
If interested in getting a C-section scar massage, Back At It has a unique treatment in our online booking system called “C-section Scar Treatment”. If you have any questions never hesitate to ask us. We love scars, moms and anything babies!!!