Acupuncture To Boost Immunity
Acupuncture To Boost The Immune System
As we get closer to fall, now is the time to boost that immune system so you don’t catch that dreaded cold or flu. The Bow Valley is home to so many active people, and several studies have shown that prolonged heavy training and intense exercise can compromise the immune system and cause a suppression of IgA antibodies.
What is this IgA antibody you speak of?
Salivary immunoglobulin A is the predominant antibody that plays a crucial role in immune function. It’s found in saliva, tears, and other mucosal fluids and is known as our first line of defense against various toxins and viruses. When IgA levels are high we can easily ward off the common cold and flu.
Acupuncture and Cupping to Boost Immune Function
Studies in Japan on elite female soccer players showed that regular acupuncture enhanced the Salivary IgA secretion by stimulating the sympathetic nervous system. These increased levels of Salivary IgA reduce the likelihood of contracting a viral infection, keeping you sick free!
Cupping therapy is another great method to boost the immune system. The lifting action of cupping encourages lymphatic drainage within our lymph system. Our lymphatic systems main function is to transport lymph and white blood cells (protect the body against infections) throughout the body. The process of cupping supports the immune systems functions by aiding the white blood cells to destroy and absorb pathogenic substances and protect our body.
Helpful at home tips to stay healthy:
- Cover up that neck! Chinese Medicine views the neck as the most vulnerable area to get attacked by the cold/flu viruses. Sport that trendy knit scarf or colorful buff when the temperatures dip.
- Take that vitamin C. One of the biggest immune boosters of all! Get your mega dose from the Camu Camu Berry, a traditional superfruit from the Amazon. These berries are nature’s richest source of whole food vitamin C, in addition to other amazing antioxidants. You can purchase this powder at Nutters and add it to your tea/smoothies for a dose of +700% of your daily value!
- Take your herbs! Did you know that Chinese medicine has many natural prescriptions to boost your immune system and combat colds?!! They don’t just treat the symptoms, they treat by curing the cold. Ask ask us more, we’d love to fill you in 🙂
- Get adequate sleep and drink more water. Try to avoid being run down this fall-an energetic body can fight off colds much better than when fatigued.
At home Cold Remedy
This at home cold remedy is easy and is an ultimate win for treating the initial stages of the common cold. Do you have slight chills, a scratchy throat, neck stiffness, and a slight runny nose”? Well this is the ticket for you!
- 4 cups of water
- 8-10 slices of fresh ginger
- White bulbs from the green onions
Boil water with ginger and green onion bulbs for 10-15 minutes, until water has a nice spicy ginger taste to it. Pour the water into a mug and add in half a lemon and honey to taste. Enjoy this tea by bundling up with blankets and making yourself sweat it out. Inducing a natural fever will help kick that virus to the curb!